Law Educator, Esq., Consultant
Experience:  24+ years law enforcement. Licensed Attorney.

I ought a used car with in house financing..I paid the first

Customer Question

I ought a used car with in house financing..I paid the first month to the dealer the second month I couldn't get a hold of the dealer to pay after 3 weeks I got a letter in the mail saying they sold the note to someone else and I would be paying them the monthly charge...I paid them the 2nd and 3rd month..they repossession the car at the end of the 3rd month saying that the dealer bought back the note and I was in default because I didn't pay the dealer the 3rd they are telling me I owe the full balance of the car to get it this legal?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It would not be legal if they did not give you notice where to send payments and basically it seems they are playing games by selling the note and buying it back to take your money and get the car back too. What you are describing is an unfair and deceptive practice and an unlawful repossession and you need to start by filing a complaint with the state attorney general's consumer protection division and also your state DMV dealer licensing division.
Also, for unfair and deceptive business practices, you can sue the dealer for triple damages plus your attorney's fees and costs, so getting a local consumer protection attorney involved would likely be very beneficial to you and increase your chances of success if the attorney general and DMV cannot resolve this matter and recover your car back.
If a loan is legitimately in default, does not sound like this one is, then upon repossession they can demand payment in full. However, in this case, it sounds like they are playing games to intentionally get out of financing and/or get the car back.