Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

My name is***** and I have been asked to purchase

Customer Question

My name is***** and I have been asked to purchase a $500 dollar money gram at Walmart and call them to a person in Springfield, MA so that a delivery team can deliver me a new car and $2,5 Mil dollars tomorrow that I have won in a PCH SWEEPSTAKES. I AM NOT WILLING TO DO THAT SINCE I DO NOT HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE WON WON THESE THINGS! CAN YOU HELP? THE DELIVERY TEAM IS SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE TOMORROW MORNING.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Unfortunately, this is a clear SCAM. Neither Publisher's Clearing House, nor any legitimate lottery or sweepstakes would EVER require you to send a dime to collect winnings. In fact, Publishers Clearing House even says this on its own website, where they unambiguously state: "If someone contacts you claiming to be from PCH, and tells you that you’ve won a prize award – then asks you to send a payment or money card in order to claim the prize – STOP! You have not heard from the real PCH." Not only would a legitimate lottery or sweepstakes never ask you to send money, NO legitimate business of any kind would every ask you to send Money Gram. This is a completely unprofessional means of payment that is generally reserved for sending money to family. It is almost never used by real businesses because it is non-refundable and generally requires going to a convenience store or liquor store to collect. It is, however, the most common means of payment requested by scammers, precisely because it cannot be "taken back" once sent. In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here.
I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.