RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.

I was connect by person his name is ***** ***** who stated

Customer Question

I was connect by person his name is ***** ***** who stated that I have won a 350,000,000 jackpot and a 2016 Mercedes. I was given a confirmation #, ticket # ***** the gentlemen stated that a crew was on the way to my house. What was a red flag is the fact gentlemen request that I pay a registration fee of $499.99 by mail gram before the crew deliver me a check today.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. You're absolutely right -- this is a very common scam. Here's how they work: You will receive notification that you have won a lot of money or a fantastic prize in a competition, lottery or sweepstake that you don’t remember entering. The contact may come by mail, telephone, email, text message or social media.The prize you have ‘won’ could be anything from a tropical holiday to electronic equipment such as a laptop or a smartphone, or even money from an international lottery and a car, like here. To claim your prize, you will be asked to pay a fee. Scammers will often say these fees are for insurance costs, government taxes, bank fees or courier charges. The scammers make money by continually collecting these fees from you and stalling the payment of your winnings. The email, letter or text message you receive will ask you to respond quickly or risk missing out. It may also urge you to keep your winnings private or confidential, to ‘maintain security’ or stop other people from getting your prize by mistake. Scammers do this to prevent you from seeking further information or advice from independent sources. They'll even go so far to sometimes use the name of a real international lottery (like the UK Lotto, or Australian Lottery) so that it seems legitimate when you look it up.You may also be asked to provide personal details to prove that you are the correct winner and to give your bank account details so the prize can be sent to you. Scammers use these details to try to misuse your identity and steal any money you have in your bank account.Here's the thing: you can't win a lottery or contest you didn't enter. And a real lottery will not contact you over email. Most importantly, a real sweepstakes or lottery will never have you send money to collect your winnings. These scams are all (typically) from foreign countries -Ghana, Jamaica, Russia, Nigeria, etc. And, the scams take on a variety of different forms -from romance scams to lottery to business scams. We see it all the time on this site. Unfortunately, the FBI doesn't have jurisdiction in a foreign country. But here's what you need to do. First, don't send any money, and stop communicating with these people. They'll just keep asking for more money. Second, be alert to any suspicious emails or scams in the weeks that follow --scammers often come back to victims with new scams to try and get more money or entice you if they didn't get you the first time. Third, keep a close eye on your bank accounts and credit report -make sure there's no suspicious activity. Lastly, file a complaint online with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) which is a joint task force between the FBI and other international agencies. They'll do their best to look into this scam and shut down these scammers. It's tough -- these scammers move around constantly and never use real identities and IP addresses from mobile locations, making them hard to track, and as fast as one is gone, another pops up. But you filing a complaint can help others. If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Thank you.