Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience
29905560

I HAVE RECIEVED an e-mail on a inheritance from the Nigerian

Customer Question

i HAVE RECIEVED an e-mail on a inheritance from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation in the conjunction with the Ministry Of Finance Of the Federal Republic Of Nigeria . I was wandering what it is all about , please let me know what this is all about
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What have they asked you to do, if anything, so far?
In any event, this is a scam. Such types of scams, better known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately very common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them. The ways in which such scams operate are as follows:{C}· You are contacted, usually out of the blue, and promised a large sum of money from an inheritance.{C}· Before you are entitled to receive this sum of money, you are asked to pay certain fees, such as legal costs, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam. In reality, if you would not be expected to pay any fees upfront and the reasons stated are not genuine. You may not have been asked to do so yet but it is just a matter of time and often this request is made right at the last minute, once they have gained your trust.{C}· Another clue is the dubious methods by which you are expected to pay that money. Usually it is through Western Union, Moneygram, or by buying pre-paid cards or vouchers. All methods are commonly used by fraudsters as the recipient is extremely difficult, if not impossible to trace.. DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them. If you wish to report this, the following options are available to you:· You can forward any scam emails and details to:***@******.***· If you have already sent money, contact your local State Attorney General· If the scam originated through the internet, submit a complaint to the Internet Crime Complaint Centre (IC3) by following this link: http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you