Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I had a call today from supposedly IRS indicating that I owe

Customer Question

I had a call today from supposedly IRS indicating that I owe them money. I have always paid on time. The number they were calling from is(###) ###-#### ***** used intimidation of law suits, jail etc. I did not give them any SS#, credit card or debit card info and hung up.
You can call me at(###) ###-####
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, This is a popular scam around this time of year. There is nothing to worry about. The IRS does not make such phone calls. When the IRS really does audit you and determines that you really do owe money, you don't get a call or an email. You get a written notification from them. The notice is on an official government form and includes the information you need to reply to them, so that you can show that their calculations are in error and ask for a hearing. You will not get a phone call. If you are silly enough to disregard the IRS letter, eventually what will happen is that the IRS will levy your bank account and seize all of your assets. What they will not seize is you. The IRS is very aware of scams perpetrated in its name. Scams like this have been going around for a long time. You can see warnings from the IRS about audit and other types of scams here. The IRS tells you how they want you to handle this scam here on their website: They recommend that you call the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 800*366*4484 and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at Apart from reporting the fraud, just block the phone calls and forget about this. It is a scam.