Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Person asked me to be next of kin on a business investment.

Customer Question

person asked me to be next of kin on a business investment. Sent the form which asks for my name, address, phone, email, drivers license number and a photograph and asked me to send it back to***@******.***. The form says "general manager, NewGold Sarl"
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Don't do this. It's the hallmark of a scammer. First of all, legally you're NOT his next of kin, which means that this person is really asking you to commit fraud. Secondly, the only reason he is asking you to do this is to make you feel that you are legally obligated to assist him with his investment. You'll find out that for yourself when he starts needing your money. And more money. And more money. And more money. And the only thing you're getting out of this is broke. He's also asking you for information which is significant enough for him to commit identity theft. Any time an online boyfriend you have never met in person wants to involve you heavily in his financial dealings or problems, he's a fake. There is never, EVER, any exception to that rule. The link to Nigeria which you have found for yourself is also a giant red flag. The Nigerians invented the advance fee fraud. Cease all contact with this person. Send no money. Sign no paperwork. Report the fraud online to the FBI at IC3.gov.