How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 23204
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A man in panama collected money from me upgrading

Customer Question

A man in panama collected money from me for certificate upgrading and he has refused to give me back my money despite many promises,please what i can do or how can i get to he authorities in panama?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, This sounds very much like you have fallen for a fraud and that instead of really upgrading your credentials, you have simply transferred money to a thief. The problem is that if he is in Panama, US law has no jurisdiction over him, because our law and our law enforcement authorities stop at our own borders. This is the reason scammers find their victims in countries other than their own in the first place. You can hire an international private investigator to try to find your scammer. If you have a name and address over there, you can hire a lawyer in Panama to sue him for the return of your money. But these remedies will likely cost more than the money you lost to the scam. Other than that, you can report the fraud online to the FBI at their internet crime complaint center at There, they are partnered with Interpol, who will give the information you have on your scammer to law enforcement authorities all over the world. Apart from that and whatever steps you may want to take to warn others, there isn't much that you can do. There is, however, one piece of good news. If you are the victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses due to that crime are tax deductible. So even if the FBI and the efforts of Interpol cannot locate your scammer, you will be able to get some of your money back in the form of a deduction when you file your taxes next year.

Related Fraud Examiner Questions