Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

Am talking with a service member in afghanistan. His name is

Customer Question

Am talking with a service member in afghanistan. His name is***** i send him money for phone service and he call me. He said he has one son.But I check some of the questions on the facebook site about scammer but not everything on it match him. About two or three questions. He ask me for money three times. He call me sometimes. And we email each other often. Sometimes when He is not training. Or when He is ready to go to sleep.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Nobody that was actually in the military would ever ask you for money. In fact, soldiers aren't even allowed to internet date when overseas. Military personnel are very well compensated and absolutely do NOT not money to purchase phones or phone time. That is provided by the military at no cost to the soldier. Unfortunately, you are dealing with something commonly referred to as a "military romance scam." The idea behind the fraud is simple: To pose as an soldier as a ploy to gain the trust of the victim (using stolen and "photoshopped" pictures, a fake name and a fictitious story), then develop an online relationship and once the victim becomes hooked, ask for money for a phone, to come visit, for medical expenses, or for some other reason.Of course, in reality the scammer is not who he claims to be, has no intention to meet you, and is not even a member of the military. This is simply a ploy to get you to send money, and the scammer will string you along for as long as you continue to do so.These scams are so frequent that the United States military has issued a warning about them, which you can read here.Although you are quite certainly dealing with a scam, there is a rather straight forward way to determine conclusively if this person is in the military, and thus, whether they are being truthful with you about everything else.All active military individuals are issued a military email address. It will end in "," for Army, "," for Marines, "" for Navy, and "" for Air Force for Marines. There are no exceptions. Ask for this man to send you an email from his military email address, and then send a message back to make sure the address is not being spoofed. If he's a scammer, he will come up with some excuse for why he can't do this, or can't respond to your message sent to that address, but of course the real reason is that he's not in the military.If this man is genuine and serious about proving his legitimacy to you, he should also have no problem providing you with his social security number, which you can look up to determine conclusively whether he is an active serviceman here. This will do nothing to jeopardize his security and if he says that, he's just trying to avoid having you check out his story. Again, any excuses here should also be regarded as confirmation of a scam, as this is an extremely straight forward and foolproof way to determine if someone is in the military.You would be wise to keep all the above in mind and, if you desire further proof of the fraud, ask for this man to send you an email from his official military email account. If he cannot do this, then it is a scam, end of story. Additionally, you would be wise to demand his social security number so that you can confirm he is active military personnel.Again, this is quite certainly a scam, but you can obtain additional proof if you so desire by taking the steps outlined above. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Hello again,I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.Very best wishes.