Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.

Wants me to load $250 onto a green dot card and claims that

Customer Question wants me to load $250 onto a green dot card and claims that they will send me $6950. scam or not?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. This is a complete scam. It is never necessary to pay a dime to collect a grant, much less would you ever have to send money via Green Dot Card. Payment by such method is not something the government or any reputable business would ever request. Scammers use it almost exclusively, though, because it is non-refundable and untraceable. Never send money to someone you don't know and trust via Green Dot, Western Union, or anything similar. What you have encountered here is a classic advance fee scam. These scams have numerous variations but the essential facts they all have in common is that the victim is contacted and informed of a grant, sweepstakes winnings, inheritance or some other financial windfall and told that they need to pay money up front to get it. Of course, there is no sum of money for the victim and this is merely a ploy to get the victim to send their own advance payment, with which the scammer will promptly disappear. In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Please let me know if there is anything more I can do to assist you. If I have answered your question, please kindly remember to take a moment to positively rate my service. This is the only way I am compensated for my time answering questions and so is very much appreciated. Best, Patrick