Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I just tried to visit a site called National Magazine Exchange,

Customer Question

I just tried to visit a site called National Magazine Exchange, and your site came up, with the name of the exchange and the word "scam" beside it. Does that mean the exchange has some scummy activities? They just billed me a huge amount for several magazines.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. This company is not an outright scam in the sense that they are going to steal your credit card information and make unauthorized purchases. However, their extremely large number of negative reviews and complaints suggests that they are unscrupulous and not a business that you should want to involve yourself with. The Better Business Bureau has issued an "alert" about National Magazine Company which I believes summarizes the problems with this company very well. They state: "The company mails notices inviting people to call and enter the Million Dollar "Strike It Rich" Sweepstakes. There is no purchase necessary to enter the sweepstakes. The odds of winning are determined by the number of people who enter. The company estimates the odds at no more than 1 in 26 million. The sweepstakes promotion is used by the company to promote magazine subscriptions.Our file experience shows that the company has received complaints alleging billing disputes, misinterpretation of the sweepstakes promotion, and misunderstanding the company's billing terms. The company has addressed most complaints brought to its attention by BBB by cancelling the consumer's account or responding to questions regarding the sweepstakes promotion or its billing procedures.In order to expedite handling of any questions, or if you have a complaint, the company requests that you call their customer service department at(###) ###-####or email them at***@******.***." If you have been billed unfairly for magazine subscriptions, it would be prudent to contact the company at their customer service department using the number listed above to complain and request a refund if necessary. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.