Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I am receiving Sweepstakes on almost a daily basis. My husband

Customer Question

I am receiving Sweepstakes on almost a daily basis. My husband says they are scams because they ask for a processing fee. The only one that I've dealt with is Publishers Clearing House which I think is legitimate. Can you help me?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Your husband is correct. You never have to pay a processing fee to collect real winnings. If they already have thousands of "your" dollars, they don't need more from your pocket. A legitimate contest does not make you pay upfront for anything. Nor will they send you a check for partial payment of your winnings and ask you to deposit it and use the funds to pay someone else. Publishers Clearing House is legitimate. However, because they do advertise so widely, their name is ***** ***** by scammers. PCH is aware of this and they warn people right on their website about how to recognize one of the scams. Here's their fraud alert on their website. They even have a video you can watch. http://info.pch.com/consumer-information/fraud-protection I'm not sure what sort of help you need. If the site I linked you to does not address your concerns about PCH, please reply here on this question thread and provide more details so that I can better answer your question.