Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

Last year I was a victim of a romance scam. I really am not

Customer Question

Last year I was a victim of a romance scam. I really am not so stupid but I was finishing chemo for breast cancer and my mother was in ICU with Encephalitis...she died as a result. so call me chemo brain....and not thinking clearly!!!
Any way this man he was of two races,his wife died and was raising child. After time he proclaimed his love. for me, said he had work out of the country....even sent photos. I was skeptical at first. I even asked if he was scamming me.
in a nutshell he said he would clear my nearly 9,000 in debt The Debt created from a recent marriage separation for my living expenses..
This man's so-called company transferred $9,000 into my credit card and paid it and then somehow it was taken out...this happened twice and it created an $18,000 debt in my credit card when after I went shopping for electronics to send to him { Scott Bank} for his use. Soon after the second time of putting extra cash into my account his money was taken back out from his bogus bank in South Africa, all without my knowledge This was with my southwest card with Chase. My original credit limit was ten thousand and it was increased to twelve thousand...thus resulting going over the credt limit by $8,000.
Yes he had my credit card number. I trusted him after a couple months of talking and texting.
To add:
I had tried to clear up this mess and after some time gave up trying. I had too many other things going on in my life that too had to be dealt health being number one on my list.
Soon the house that I have live in for 25 years may be placed on the market as my estranged doesnt want to make the house payments. He lives with his girlfriend. I still live in the house we own together. I was a home maker...part time employment. Raised my children while my husband worked outside of the home.
I need to clear this situation up now!
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, What is your question regarding this situation? What have you done so far to try to locate your scammer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What are the proper steps to claim fraud and not have to pay the amount scammed on my credit card. I need to clear it to improve my credit score.
I did alot of research at the time I suspected that this guy scammed me. I have several names. and an address I sent a package to. I found out that this guy maybe a man from South Africa name Leke....I forget his last name. I have it down on a western union form. i
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ill add more tomorrow
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.
You need to report the scam to your card carriers and tell them that you didn't authorize those charges. They will open up an investigation to determine whether they have any liabiility to cover you for these losses. Generally -- and you'd have to look on your credit card terms of service -- there is a relatively short period of time to report the unauthorized use of your card, if you expect your card carrier to cover you. Typically, that's no more than 2 billing cycles, and it can be less. Unfortunately, you also gave the scammer your credit card number, so they can also deny liability and say that you are responsible for this breach of security. So, you will want to make a police report as soon as possible, which will help you establish with your card carriers that you were not conspiring with your scammer to defraud your credit card company, and that you didn't authorize his charges. Also, you should file a report online with the FBI for the same reason. The website the FBI asks scam victims to use is their Internet Crime Complaint Center at If after an investigation your credit card carriers deny liability, you would be expected to pay off the balance in your account. Your remedy would then be to sue your former online love, assuming you can find him to get your money back. Apart from that I can only add that when you're the victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses from that crime are tax deductible. So you'll be able to get some of your money back in the form of a deduction on next year's taxes.