Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I've met a man through Facebook who says he is Army Special

Customer Question

I've met a man through Facebook who says he is Army Special Forces and has been in Nigeria since last year. He also says he has not received his military paycheck since the last of February and it was supposed to come March 15-20 sometime. He is a First Sargent and has been in the Army 20 years but I don't know anything further. He is not on a base but living in or near Ogbomoso, Oyo, Nigeria. He also says he does not have access to his money back in the States. He has sent me military photos showing military insignia on the shirt but I don't know what they stand for. His name is***** 5-18-1965. His parents were Ruth and William or Williams Kineally, both deceased. He has two children, Tracy and Ryan. He was born in Greenville, NC but lives in Queens, NY and is a West Point graduate. His business in Queens is something in oil and gas and he claims to be wealthy but he has no access to his money. I don't understand that unless its because he is Special Forces in Nigeria and the military doesn't want him to access it for fear of his or his family being threatened or kidnapped by terrorists for ransom. He can't give me an APO address because one of them gave it to someone once and a bomb threat was sent to that address so they were asked not to share it again. I want to believe him but I've had past experience with scammers so I'm leery and being cautious. Can you help me? Thank you very much.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, You're being scammed. There's not a single doubt in my mind. First of all, the US has no ground troops in Nigeria. Secondly, all US get paid once a month and can access their funds from anywhere in the world. Thirdly, the reason that an APO box exists if specifically for security purposes. That's the only address a soldier abroad is supposed to give, so he's got to share it. I'm sure you saw the photo of some actual soldier. But I'm also sure that you're so-called soldier is a Nigerian scammer sitting at an internet cafe and trying to sweettalk you and who knows how many others out of their money. One foolproof way to find out if someone is a US soldier is to enter his name and birthdate or social security number into a special site the US military has that will allow you to verify if someone is in the military. Here is the site. I have run the information you've provided and attached the results which confirm that there is no such soldier with that name and date of birth in the US armed forces. Another foolproof way is to ask him for his military email address. Every soldier has one he is supposed to use to communicate with friends and family. It is NOT classified. It should look like john.kineally @us.army.mil. Only members of the US armed forces can get a .mil email address and if his doesn't say us.army.mil to the extreme right of the @ sign, he's a liar. Feel free to upload his photo with your response here to this question thread, but I can tell you that the US armed forces say he isn't one of them, and that says it all.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 8 months ago.
The US military wants military romance scammers reported to the FBI at IC3.ov.