Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

My fiance was working in Benin Africa . Everything went wrong

Customer Question

My fiance was working in Benin Africa . Everything went wrong . Long story short his passport expired . He had an attorney go to the Embassy to get a traveling paper. We paid 2000.00 for it. Friday he fly out was going to change plans in Ethiopia but they kept him in immigration saying the paper is not strong enough to travel .He needs a genius traveling document. In the mean time they beat him up and took all his money 1500.00. As we speak the still have him and he has had no food or water since friday. He had surgery in Benin and the site is bleeding pretty bad to where he needs blood. One of the officers text me telling me he is trying to help. They now want to take him to court which could mean jail and I was told we would never get him out .. I do not know what to do or who to turn to for help. He is very weak from bleeding so much.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He has no money or wallet and they want money. There is one person he was friends with in Benin we both trust he said he could fly down there to see the problem . Of course he needs money for the flight 3500.00 But I dont how he can bring him back my fiance doesnt have his passport.it is expired and I think these people are demanding money.In the past 6 months I have sent almost 80,000 to my husband for medical ,hotel bills food and internet so we could talk. I dont have any money to send. My husband does but it is in an account I do not have access to.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:
1) How did you meet your fiance? Did you meet online? How long have you known them?
2) Have you ever met in person?
3) Is your fiance a US Citizen? If not, what country is he a citizen of?
4) Have you ever video chatted with your fiance, i.e. seen his face?
This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes we met online and we have been together in person he is a US citizen. No we have not video chat but I peak to his attorney his mother and the person that owns the house he is buying in Sacramento . I do not beleive this is a scam I have lots of pictures of hi, He has his own company global contractors and they go all over the world.
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.
My gut feeling tells me that you are being scammed and there are several red flags that point to this. However if you believe that this is not a scam, I am afraid that my answer would not do you any good.
I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.
Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.
My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
why do you think that
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I am a different expert, and unfortunately, this has every last one of the hallmarks of an internet romance scam. In that, I agree with the previous expert. However, if you're convinced that this man is in an emergency situation in Benin, the US Embassy or consulate over there is his potential lifeline. You can see the contact information here on the official US government website. This is the only number you should use to call the embassy. I can assure you that you're being lied to. You can't send someone to the embassy to pick up a new passport. You MUST go in person. There is no such thing as a Genius Traveling Document. You can call the real US embassy in Benin and find that out for yourself. But you can also tell them what your fiance is going through and they would be able to dispatch the police or get him help, which is more than you can do by endlessly sending money to West Africa. The so-called lawyer representing him is going to be a fake too. Every country's legal professional must be licensed. Since impersonating a lawyer is a criminal offense and lawyers are privy to very confidential information, licensing authorities make it easy for someone to verify the credentials of a lawyer. The Ordre des avocats de la République du Bénin is the agency that licenses lawyers in the Republic of Benin. They provide a list of legal professionals who are licensed, and you can check the name of the so-called lawyer against it. I'll attach it here. It's in French, of course, but you'll be able to see and read the names. I'd also be happy to look over any documents or photos you want to upload as a reply to this thread.