How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 23530
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was "scammed" out of my life's saving of $60,000. I met

Customer Question

I was "scammed" out of my life's saving of $60,000. I met a man online, a CLIFFORD HOLT. He said he was going to the U.K. for a business trip. When he got there he said he was being held by IMMIGRATION and the "Safebond Section" was holding the money he brought into the country, $100,000. Over the past year he has been borrowing money from me to pay various fines from the Immigration Department, a Sgt. Paul Dickson. Each time I wired to money to various people here in the U.S. that he said would wire the money to Sgt. Dickson. He begged, cried, and yelled at send the money. I have two Promissory Notes that he signed before I sent the money. Now I have not heard from him. I have a certificate from Sgt. Paul Dickson verifying that they have the $100,000.
After all of this I now believe he scammed me out of the $60,000. When I searched the name of Sgt. Paul Dickson last time, there is a WARNING FROM ISIS...if you push, we will push back harder.
Have I just donated $60,000 to ISIS? I need this money back. He took all of the money I have in savings. He said, it will be over in a week. What is over is that I can not contact him and that I don't know what to do. Is it possible to trace the people I wired the money to? I have their names and addresses. Any ideas how I can get my money?
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Jamie L. Wallace
39650 US Highway 19N, Unit 134
Tarpon Springs, FL 34689 (###) ###-####
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, No, you haven't been sending money to ISIS. This is the typical romance scam called the "stranded traveler." You meet someone on line who falls in love with you faster than a speeding bullet. He seems to be everything you want in a man, but before he can meet you, work calls him out of the country. As soon as you return his feelings and he's set to come back to the States, he runs into the first of a series of so-called emergencies and only your money can save him. In reality, he's not real, the Immigration Sgt. isn't real, and all you're doing is passing your money to other innocent romance scam victims, all of whom are unwittingly assisting him in laundering money. If you could find him, you could sue him for the money he promised to pay back. You could even try to get him arrested for fraud. But NOTHING he has told you has been the truth, which you are starting to see already. So finding him to bring him to justice is a job for law enforcement. And because he can be anybody, anywhere in the world, the overwhelming number of romance scammers get completely away with their crimes. You are the victim of a crime. You need to report the fraud to your police and online to the FBI at, which is their Internet Crime Complaint Center. There, the FBI is partnered with Interpol which can disseminate the particulars of this crime to law enforcement agencies all over the globe. Since the man claims to be in the UK, report the crime as well to, which is the UK's national anti-fraud unit. Beyond that, apart from warning others or enlisting the services of an international detective service, there's nothing more you can do. If law enforcement cannot turn him up, as the victim of a crime your unreimbursed losses are at least partly tax deductible. You will be able to recover some of your funds in the form of a deduction when you file your taxes next year.