Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I met this guy online. He had multiple photos and phone # *****

Customer Question

I met this guy online. He had multiple photos and phone # ***** We talked daily on phone or texted
He got me western union $1000 two different days and almost transfer $11000.00 bank/ bank transfer. But bank stopped it and filed fraud charges against me. How canny get it dropped
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Have you been arrested and charged with a crime? In what state?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No bank just " filed fraud charges against me" they returned $11,111.00 of money back original sender. And I was instructed remainder balance would be my responsibility to return to original sender.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. People who ask a question like this have generally been unknowingly laundering money for someone they believe is either their employer or their internet romance who claims to be stranded abroad. In most instances, romance scammers ask for your money. But sometimes, they get your money in a round about way. That is, they ask you to receive money on their behalf and deposit it into your account. Then they generally ask that some of it get withdrawn and sent to a third party. The problem is that they are lying to you about where the money comes from. The money you receive is money this person has stolen from some other person he or she is romancing. When that person realizes that he or she has been defrauded and reports the fraud to the authorities, he's nowhere to be found. None of his contact information turns out to be real. But YOUR name and bank account is traceable. So suddenly you find that your bank has locked down your account and reported you to ChexSystem for using your bank account to commit fraud. That report follows you everywhere and can get you blacklisted from every other bank as well. Worse yet, laws in this area protect banks and not account holders, who are required to take good care in their business dealings and are strictly responsible for what goes into and comes out of their accounts. That means if you drew against non-existent funds relying on your so-called online love to be legitimate, you are liable to the bank for any overdraft that this situation creates when his funds bounce or are returned to the sender. You'll be expected to pay back the bank, or they will turn your file over to the state to press fraud charges against you. Your remedy in turn will be to sue the person who set you up, which of course, you won't be able to because he vanished into thin air? Does the above pretty much size up your situation? You start trying to fix this -- it's not easy -- by realiziing that you're the victim of a crime and making a report against your "boyfriend" with your local police and with the FBI at, which is their internet crime complaint center. Then you try to work something out with your bank, who will believe you much more readily if they see that you are not afraid to have involved the police and reported the crime. You can then try to dispute the fraud charges by negotiating with your bank and with ChexSystem, to which you've been reported. Here's a pretty good general overview of the various steps that you can take, and you should do them quickly. If you can retsin the services of a local lawyer to help you, that would be the best way to try to avert a possible prosecution and to get off ChexSystem's blacklist. Otherwise, you will not be able to find a bank who will let you open an account for 5 years, which is how long the blot would remain on your banking history if not removed.