Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Can you tell me how to verify that my new boyfriend is who

Customer Question

Can you tell me how to verify that my new boyfriend is who he says he is in Lagos, Nigeria working?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Is he someone you have only met online and not in person? What information can you give me about him? Do you have a photo you can upload to this question thread with your reply?
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 9 months ago.
What you have to worry about is something called the Stranded Traveler scam. Nigeria and Ghana are the world's capitals of the romance scam, so whenever an internet romance tells you that he must leave the country to go to Ghana or Nigeria, it's a big red flag. Here are some of the hallmarks of the scam, and if they sound very familiar to you, you will know you've got a scammer: You find your boyfriend online and he falls in love with you so fast that he literally sweeps you off of your feet. Typically, though not always, he will claim to be someone from your own country, who you could actually get to meet quickly. But he can't actually get to see you on real time, because as soon as you start to return his feelings, his job supposedly whisks him away to a foreign country. There, he claims to have an emergency for which only your money will do.That money request is the #1 sign of a romance scam and it ALWAYS means scam. If he were legitimate, he would know to go to his embassy, and they would assist him. That's what they are there to do. He wouldn't need to ask for money from someone he has never met.If you send him money, he's only going to need more and more of it. He will promise to pay you back when he returns to Canada. But things just keep on going wrong, and he will never get an inch closer to the plane home.If you wish to upload any photos of him and documents he has sent you with your reply to this question thread along with any facts that you know about him, I can look into that for you and give you less general information.