RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.
18284290

I have just received a text message from a danielle lam from

Customer Question

i have just received a text message from a danielle lam from publishers clearinghouse. how can i be sure that this isn't a scam?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you. Unfortunately, Publisher's Clearing House is a frequent target of scammers, many of whom can seem very convincing. But PCH does not notify winners by text message. Per their website: "At PCH winners of our major prize awards are notified live and in person by our famous Prize Patrol. Since PCH awards a steady range of prizes throughout the year, at our option we may notify winners of lesser prize amounts via an overnight express carrier such as UPS, FedEx or USPS Express Mail and occasionally via email. Major prize award and SuperPrize winners are not notified via email. Prizes are awarded within eight weeks of final winner selection.Only PCH is authorized to notify you of a win from a PCH giveaway. There are never any strings attached to winning a Publishers Clearing House prize. We do not ask for bank account information. There is no processing fee, tax or special handling charge required to win and our prizes are delivered free of charge to the winners. If you were contacted by someone claiming to represent Publishers Clearing House, or claiming to be a PCH employee and were asked to send or wire money, send a pre-paid gift card or a Green Dot MoneyPak card , or cash a check and send a portion back to them as payment for any reason to claim a Sweepstakes prize - STOP - You have not heard from the real Publishers Clearing House."Typically what happens if you respond to these false prize notifications is that they will tell you they need you to send money like through Western Union, to cover taxes, or fees, etc. But no true lottery or sweepstakes will do that. The taxes would be withheld from your winnings, and you would NEVER be asked to wire funds, send a gift card, etc. PCH requests that if you were targeted in a false notification, you file a scam report with them. The link to do that is here:https://pchscamform.skybridgecs.com/view.php?id=12763I'm sorry I cannot tell you otherwise.
If you have no further follow-up questions regarding this matter, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts on this site are paid for their time and expertise, even if you placed a deposit. If you do have follow-up questions, please reply, and I'll be more then happy to assist you until satisfied. Thank you!