Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

A computer message with information about a problem. this is

Customer Question

A computer message with information about a problem. this is on another computer. Instructions were to call Microsoft at 1-***-***-****. I called the number but did not trust the man who answered, so I hung up the phone. What should I do? This happened on a new Asus computer.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Do nothing. This is a well known scam. If you call them they will tell you that you have a virus and will ask for remote access to your computer to "fix" it for a fee. Then, not only will you be handing over your credit card number but they will be able to install malware in your computer that will allow them to hack into all of your accounts, steal your funds and commit identity theft. Microsoft doesn't monitor your computer or anyone else's. They are just the company that developed the operating system. Ignore all pop-ups like that. Microsoft's real phone number is *****(###) ###-#### You can read about these types of "support" scams here. Microsoft is also aware of them and warns of them on their website.