Law Educator, Esq., Consultant
Experience:  24+ years law enforcement. Licensed Attorney.
10285032

We have been contacted by a David Hamilton saying we won 750,000.00

Customer Question

We have been contacted by a David Hamilton saying we won 750,000.00 from
Proctor and Gamble........is this a scam???
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Is this a lottery that you recall having recently purchased tickets for? Are you being asked to do anything in order to claim your prize? Lastly, what is the phone number this man used to contacted you? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
His phone number is(###) ###-####and yes he asked for 750.00 for some kind of insurance
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He also wanted us to contact Shaun White ith Proctor and Gamble(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dept of consumer and regulatory affairs they said.......***-***-****
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When will he?
Thank you. I am working on responding to your question right now. It will not be much longer....
Thank you for your patience. This is a scam. First, you would NEVER be asked to send money up front to collect legitimate prize winnings. Any money for fees, insurance, etc. would simply be deducted from the massive sum you have already won. As soon as you are asked to send money to collect a prize, you can be assured you are dealing with a fraud situation, no matter how real everything else seems. Second, the Dept. of Consumer & Regulatory Affairs does not get involved with lotteries or sweepstakes winnings and would have nothing to do with this. Third and finally, the phone numbers from which you were called have no affiliation whatsoever to Proctor & Gamble or to the Dept. of Consumer Affairs. In fact, the number given to you for the Dept. of Consumer Affairs has already been widely reported as a scam number engaging in mass cold calling. See here. This is an "advance fee" scam. These scams have numerous variations but the essential facts they all have in common is that the victim is contacted and informed of sweepstakes winnings, inheritance or some other financial windfall and told that they need to pay an up front fee of some kind in order to receive their winnings. Of course, there is no sum of money for the victim and this is merely a ploy to get the victim to send their own advance payment, with which the scammer will promptly disappear. In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Unfortunately, I cannot talk to customers on the phone. However, I am more than happy to answer any followup questions for you here. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Do you still request a phone call? If so please let us know.