How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 23568
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother-in-law got scammed by a company called "USA tech

Customer Question

My mother-in-law got scammed by a company called "USA tech solution". She paid $1000.00 to have them remove viruses that didn't exist. Now Capital One won't cancel the payment or refund her money and I want to know if you have any info on these guys or a way to proceed with reclaiming the money.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Do you have the name and website for the company that defrauded her?
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I find a US Tech Solution, but it is a different sort of company from the one that you are talking about. I do not see a website for USA tech solution. Your mother in law was likely the victim of a well known scam, and she has more to worry about than just getting her money back. Here's how the scam goes: You get a cold call, unsolicited email or computer pop-up from a supposed computer tech company, usually, but not always claiming to be associated with Microsoft/Windows or some other important company and telling you that your computer has bugs which they can repair for you. Many of these calls actually originate from overseas, especially India, and the caller may have a heavy accent. What these folks are looking to do is to is to get remote access and/or to install malware which would allow them to hack into your computer, phish for passwords, get into your accounts and rob you blind. Additionally, they'll get your credit card number and may commit further identity theft.Allowing anyone or any company into your computer or downloading their software without fully vetting their reputation first is a good way to get hacked and to give an unscrupulous person access to all of your accounts. So if your mother in law granted these folks remote access or installed programs that they gave her, first and foremost she needs to take precautions against identity theft. Your mother in law needs to take her computer to a local reputable computer tech shop and get her computer debugged. If she's computer savvy, she can post a question in our computer category here on justanswer, and a verified computer technician can walk her through the debugging. Otherwise, she should do this in person locally. Just running her anti-virus program will not be enough to prevent possible hacking, because malware can override these programs. Once the computer is debugged, she needs to change all her PIN numbers and passwords. She should also monitor her accounts carefully to look for unauthorized use of her bank account or credit cards. If she paid the company via credit or debit card, she ought to report that card to her card carrier as being compromised, close it and get herself a new one. As to the refund, there's no question that she's entitled to her money back and that she has legal rights and remedies. The bank is denying liability because your mother in law authorized the payment to thie tech company. They are not responsible for her decision to do that. She can take USA Tech Solution to small claims court, however, and handle this herself without even having to pay legal fees. But all of her rights depend upon her finding the company, and if she can't, that becomes a matter for law enforcement. So, she needs to report the company to the Better Business Bureau, her State Attorney General's Office, and the Federal Trade Commission. These are the consumer protection agencies that can assist her for free. If they can't help, then it's a police matter. She should report the crime to her police and to the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at If all else fails, she's the victim of a crime. And when you are a victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses are tax deductible. So in the worst case scenario, she can get some of her money back in the form of a refund when she files next year's taxes.

Related Fraud Examiner Questions