Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have a man calling here telling me that I have won $250,000.00

Customer Question

I have a man calling here telling me that I have won $250,000.00 and wants me to pay 250.00 in order to receive it. I have refused to pay, so now they are getting angry.
He tells me that his name is***** Does PCH ask for money in order to receive the winning money?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 9 months ago.
Hello, This is a scam and you should have no further contact with them. PCH asks for NO money up front for any reason at all. Nor do they call winners at their home. They send their "prize patrol" as you have probably seen on commercials. Publisher's Clearinghouse is aware of the scams and their website warns you to beware of impersonators and they post warnings on their site that you never have to pay anything at all to collect your winnings.An up-front fee is the #1 sign of a contest scam. They will give you a logical reason for asking you for money, such as shipping, taxes, courier fees, transfer expenses but these are lies. In any real contest, all expenses would be deducted from your winnings and the rest sent to you free and clear. You would never have to put your hand in your pocket.You can find out all you will ever need about fake contests here.Any time you get an unsolicited out of the blue message that is too good to be true and which will cost you money to claim, it is a scam!Cease all contact with the scammers, send no money, and report the scam to your police, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.