Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I received a call that I won 1.2 million dollars and they said

Customer Question

I received a call that I won 1.2 million dollars and they said all that had to be done was pay the taxes, Of course! Well when I said I didn't have any money they said they will pay off my credit card and then I would have enough money! Bank of America would pay offmy credit card. whats up with that?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. This is a scam. If you had won a real lottery, any taxes would simply be paid from the prize money itself. There is NEVER a need to pay money to get lottery winnings and as soon as you are told otherwise, you can be assured you are dealing with a scam. By offering to pay of your credit cards (which you were correct to think is an extremely odd offer, as no legitimate lottery would every do something like that), they are going to use either stolen credit cards to transfer the balance to, or pay off the card with fraudulent checks. In either case, you want absolutely nothing to do with that. In fact, if you let them do that you yourself could be the subject of a criminal investigation, since you personally benefited from bank fraud/credit card fraud. You must immediately cease contact with these people. In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.