Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I'm trying to find out 2 information about a person that has

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out 2 information about a person that has sent me a friends request . I'm not sure they are who they say they are . They say they are in the military . Been checking all the scam sites. Haven't found anything on him . I need some help
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 9 months ago.
Hello, The country code on that mobile phone is Nigeria. The US has no troops in Nigeria, and most romance scammers are, in fact, Nigerians. The scam is their specialty. So right off of the top, this looks suspicious. But there are two 100% foolproof ways to find out whether someone is actually a member of the US military. The first to ask him for his official military email address. Don't let him tell you that the email address is classified. It is not. A real US soldier may have a classified email address as well, but he also has a regular military email address with which he writes to his friends and family. Every soldier does and it is the only one he is supposed to use if he is serving out in the field. When he gives his email address to you, it should end in .mil. It will NOT end in .com In other words, it should look like eric.john @us.army.milIf the email address doesn't end in us.army .mil on the extreme right side of the @ sign, he is a fake. Only US servicemen can get a .mil email address, and if he can't produce one that you can email him back and forth with, he's scamming you. Period. The second way is to get his date of birth and social security number and do a search on the military's own website. The social security number is ***** but helpful if there's more than one person with the same name. You'll have to make an exception to get to the site. The site certification is different from standard websites because it is an official military site. If he is really in the service, you'll get an immediate certificate to that effect. If you have his birthday and would rather I do this for you, that's fine too. If he's who he says he is, he wiil have no problem giving you what you need to officially validate him. This test is 100% foolproof, and he has no reason not to give you the email address if he's really who, what and where he says he is.