Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I contacted a website owner who posted on businessforsale.com

Customer Question

I contacted a website owner who posted on businessforsale.com but he said he sold the website for a price higher than he originally asked for. But he offered to setup one exactly the same for me for much lesser cost. He will teach me how to run and give me all contacts suppliers, website developer and marketing company too. ALl existing customer database will be on the new website too. He said I can pay in 2 installment through safefunds.com. I only know this guy called Jerry and talked over Skype a couple of time.
Is it likely to be a scam too?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The website is fragrancediscountUSA.com. It gives access to some admin account to me so I can see some uptodate order reports and website statistics. I check the whois data and found that the website name was created in 2014 but there are data on website dated back to 2011. The statistics were said to be built by oscommerce company which seems to be a good one. But the data didn't change much over the few hours that I look at just now (only 1 of the data changes from time to time, but not making much sense).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the link to the admin website is www.FragranceDiscountUSA.com/admin
User Name perfumediscount
Password *****
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 9 months ago.
Hello, Why would you entrust your funds to someone who you know only through Skype and by the name of Jerry? Assuming that he runs out on you, and leaves you high and dry without honoring the various promises that he made, where on earth would you find him to hold him legally responsible for the breach of his contract with you and get your funds refunded? The answer is, you shouldn't. Certainly not on his say-so that he set up the website/business which you were interested in buying. That website is going to expire next month. The WHOIS doesn't show who really owns it, since it's using a private proxy service to hide the owner's name and real location. The contact information on the website itself is not there either, You can only communicate with the business on a dialogue box on the website, always a bad sign, especially when the site was set up to have a short shelf life. Finally, the site itself looks like a scam. High end designers, even of perfumes, do not discount their goods below a certain level and are highly restrictive of who they allow to market their goods. This company also has a Better Business Bureau logo on the bottom of its website, when in fact it is unknown to the BBB. There's simply no reason to believe the site is legitimate, no reason to believe that "Jerry" is either or that he could design a site for you. If you want to have an online business, there are reputable firms that can set up your website, help you with search engine optimization and mentor you. For a company that will do this and which has a solid industry reputation and a track record of years of excellent customer services, look to the Better Business Bureau at bbb.org. They have vetted countless businesses in the US and Canada and you can read the reviews and the complaint history of the company on the site and know who you are dealing with. The bot***** *****ne is that just because someone advertises a business for sale on some online forum doesn't mean that either he or the business is legitimate. I don't beiieve him at all, and if he's undercut the man he claims to have sold his real business to by setting you up and giving you his customer lists, he'll do the same to you. At best you'll get a website with a product list you can't move. More likely, however, the only thing you're going to get is swindled. Avoid.