Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I sent some money to a girl I met online dating site to Nigeria,

Customer Question

I sent some money to a girl I met online dating site to Nigeria, because we meet, and made oaths to eachother praying as God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost, as our witness that everything was true, and that we were to meet, but on her way to the airport supposively some body else named Paul from Lautech Hospital message me back that whoever I had sent money to was in an accident, and in a comma in that hospital which the address is: No. 23 Lautech Teaching Hospital, city: Osogbo, state: Osun, country: Nigeria, zip code: 23435. He said she was in the hospital, and that they found $1,800 in cash on her, and a check. Also that her treatment would cost $4120.00, and that I needed to send $2,320.00. I had already send the paitient, who was the person O met on line for her airplain fare, because supposively the amount they had paid her was to much, and they couldn't cash it thete, but we praued by texting, and used God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost. Which the three are one as our main witnesses, and that was the reason I had send her money a couple of times to ***** *****e, address: No 2 Dade Estate, city: Osogbo, state: Osun, country: Nigeria, zip code: 23435. She had also text me a picture of some check from a Chase bank, her passport, and something else suppossivly from the airport, and that was the reason I beleived her. First I send her a couple of thousad dollars several times, and other amounts. I have all the receipts, but they want more, and I already owe alot, because I got that money loaned from two banks, and a loan company, and the restmoney I had saved. That's the reason I sent it, but the hospital, or place I mentioned are expecting the other amount by today, but I aint sending no more, because I already went way over my budget. That's why I would like if you investigate this for me thank you.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this. 1) Does she claim to be a US citizen?2) Do you have her name?3) Do you have a photo of her you can upload? Or link me to any of her social media pages like Facebook, for example? This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes she said she was from El Paso, Tx., and the passport she sent me said she was born in the state of Michigan, and I have a couple of photoes, and other stuff she send me send me you email, and I will send it to you .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would like to talk to you also sie if possible.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
No, I cannot do email. All I need is a photo or two of her, and you can attach it to your reply on this website.
If you do not know how or cannot figure out, no worries - reply and let me know and we can do this another way. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sir I don't know how,to send the photos, but I have them on my photo gallery, and on the gmail, or emails she sent me.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where do I send them to, or how?
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
That is okay, we can do without.
This is a scam.
This is a typical Nigerian Scam where someone in need of help is asking for money. It is actually called Nigerian Scam due to the frequency of it happening from Nigeria, where the local authorities are unwilling/unable to stop the scams. See here for an example:
http://www.419scam.org/419-stuck-in-hotel-scam.htm
You can verify if she is real by sending her a request for her name, DOB, and SSN (Social Security Number, all US Citizens/permanent residents have it). Then you the information through here:
http://www.ssnvalidator.com/
Chances are, it will not match up. Or, she will give some phony reason for not being able to provide it but do not believe her. If she claims 'confidentiality,' remind him that she is asking for money, so you have the right to ask her for his personal information.
This will confirm that it is a scam. I am very sorry.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you check, or ivestigate the information I sent you????
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Yes. There is is a Lautech Teaching Hospital in Osogbo. However, no one by the name of Paul works there. Also they are located on Ilesha Rd, Osogbo, Nigeria. Not the address you were given. The hospital is real but this is being used as a "cover" for a scam by having you send money to a different address. Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What happened to the info I sent you, I thought you were suppose to investigate?
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 10 months ago.
Hello, This is a different expert. If you can get send me copies of her passport, documents she's sent you and any photos, I should be able to confirm you're dealiing with a scammer. Email is a premium service that will cost you additional funds. I will send you the information and you can let me know if you want it. If not, upload your photos and documents to this question thread. You should see a link to attach photos and documents