Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

LOTTO SCAM $1000 000

Customer Question

LOTTO SCAM $1000 000
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 10 months ago.

Please provide more specifics about the scam and ask the question you wish to have answered with regard to this incident?

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 10 months ago.

I was hoping for more details, but I can answer this and if I did not understand your situation, you can reply to this question thread and I can revise my answer.

You cannot win a foreign lottery unless you purchased a lottery ticket within that foreign country from an authorized dealer. It is unlawful in the US to buy lottery tickets online, and there is no such thing as a legitimate international lottery.

You cannot win any lottery that you didn't actually enter. Scammers always want you to think that you can be selected at random out of thin air, but that's not true. Lottery winners are paid from the proceeds of lottery ticket sales. Only those who purchased lottery tickets can win the drawing. One must show his or her lottery ticket and get it validated in order to win.

I know you have no ticket, because if you did, there would have been no need for you to ask a question.

Finally, you never have to send money to anyone for any reason at all in order to collect your winnings. An up front fee -- no matter how logical the reason for it sounds to you -- is the #1 sign of a lottery scam.

Whoever your scammers really are, they are somewhere out of the US and not who, what or where they told you. That means getting your money back will be a job for law enforcement, because only if the authorities can find out who these folks are and have then brought to justice can you go after them for the return of your funds.

You need to report the fraud to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov, your police and the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.

You should also contact an accountant, because when you are the victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses are at least partially tax deductible. That means you can recover some of your funds in the form of a deduction when you file your taxes.