Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience
29905560

I have received a letter stating that I have won a new bmw

Customer Question

I have received a letter stating that I have won a new bmw car or $74,000 in cash. they want me to send them $20.00 for processing of receiver. this outfit is located in the Netherlands. they are a scammer right????? Thanks *****
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is the name of the outfit?
This certainly looks like a scam. Such types of scams, known as ‘advance-fee fraud’ are unfortunately extremely common these days and many unsuspecting people fall for them. The best way to spot these is by identifying specific 'red flags' that are often present in the build-up to the scam. The following are the most common ones and if they sound familiar then you can almost guarantee you are involved in a scam:· Someone contacts you and promises you a large prize, such as this brand new car here. You are unlikely to have ever heard of or been involved with the persons/organizations concerned.· Before you are able to receive the promised prize, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, usually as clearance fees, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam. It starts off low but can quickly increase once further reasons are brought up before you can get this car.· Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith.· Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and the promised money never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new unsuspected issues. DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them. If you wish to report this, the following options are available to you:· If you have received a scam letter you can report this to the US Postal Service by using one of the forms available here: http://ehome.uspis.gov/fcsexternal/default.aspx· If you have already sent money, contact your local State Attorney General I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.