Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

Soi reached out to a loan forgiveness website and they took

Customer Question

Soi reached out to a loan forgiveness website and they took all my info down social birthday and even fafsa personal info but I.made my own research after everything was signed and found its a fake lone forgiveness company I'm afraid very afraid of fraudulent activity with my information what can I do to protect myslef from fraud?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Even if nothing seems amiss, first, be aware that it is better to proceed on the side of cautionIf someone has misuses your Social Security number or other personal information to create credit or other problems for you, Social Security cannot resolve these problems, but there are several things you should do. 1. You should go to www.idtheft.gov and report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission. Or, you can call 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-***-***-****); TTY 1-***-***-****. That website is a onestop national resource to learn about the crime of identity theft. It provides detailed information to help you deter, detect and defend against identity theft. 2. You also may want to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). An identity thief also might use your Social Security number to file a tax return to receive your refund. If you are eligible for a refund, a thief could file a tax return before you do and get your refund. Then, when you do file, the IRS will think you already received your refund. Ifyour Social Security number is ***** another individual may use it to get a job. That person’s employer would report income earned to the IRS using your Social Security number. 3. Contact a credit reporting agency online (equifax, transunion, etc.). You only need to contact one. Have a fraud alert put on your file. It will be reported to all credit reporting agencies. With that fraud alert in place (there is no charge) no one will be able to borrow money or open a credit account with your social security number without you being contacted personally and confirming the request. You may also want to order a credit report to confirm no accounts have been opened which were not opened by you.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
If you still need help, feel free to reply and I'll respond as soon as possible.If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.