Ely, Consultant
Experience:  Attorney in law with focus on consumer protection
7286322

I have recently been informed that I won a lottery on facebook.

Customer Question

I have recently been informed that I won a lottery on facebook. I was told in order to collect my money, I am to send a person named Mabel Kelchner, in Mcminnville, Oregon over $800. This fee is for insurance, fuel, shipping. The lottery is a substantial amount. The representatives name is***** I want to know if this is a scam or not. What do I need to do if it is a scam? I'm 67, on social security and don't have $800 laying around.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. This is a scam. Facebook does not sponsor any lottery, nor would you be contacted via Facebook if you won anything. This is a common scam on social media. However, it is not real. Please do not send them any money, and BLOCK whoever is contacting you. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!