Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in consumer protection and fraud detection.
45002201

I met a lady on facebook from ghana i sent her money to come

Customer Question

i met a lady on facebook from ghana i sent her money to come to usa. now she says she was left 4.5 million in gold by her late father,but need more money to get the gold from a security company 40k. she showed m e a document and picture of the gold which i have no intrest in. i believe it all to be a scam
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.Unfortunately, this is definitely a scam, and I can say that with 100% confidence. First off, most of these online "love" scams originate out of Ghana and Nigeria. Second, what you've described perfectly fits the pattern - they convince the person that they are in a romantic relationship (or some sort of relationship) and get the person to send them money. They will find excuse after excuse not to actually come, and will always ask for money for one reason or another. They will keep this up until the person figures out it is a scam or runs out of money, whichever comes first. The gold she claims she has is another well known scam. If she had access to such funds, she wouldn't need to ask a stranger thousands of miles away for money. She may have some reason, but I can assure you that it is a lie. The document she showed you is a forgery. You need to get away from this situation as soon as possible. These people are criminals and should be treated as such. If she contacts you again, tell her not to contact you any more and that you are calling the police, which should be your next step. Call the police, because you've been a vicim of theft. I'm not saying that they will be able to do much, but you should get this on file. I know this can be disappointing to find out, but it is better that you know this is a scam now and before you send this person more money. You just need to cut ties and try not to make the same mistake again. I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.
Do you have any questions?