Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is their4 a web site that one can list a scam on from Nigeria

Customer Question

is their4 a web site that one can list a scam on from Nigeria with full info names phone numbers and email addresses
Category: Fraud Examiner
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 10 months ago.
Hello, Yes, there are many such sites online that exist to warn others about internet scammers. On those sites you can list whatever information you wish to provide about these people who have scammed you, including their photos, links to their profiles, the various names that they use, their email and phone numbers, their letters to you and so on. I can give you a handful of them. Post your story/photos/documents anonymously on sites like Romancescam.com, Scamwarners.com, Scamdex.com, pigbusters.net. Yahoo has a group for scam victims that gets pretty wide exposure. You have to set up a free Yahoo email account to join it but once you do, you can post everything there as well. Once you've set up the email account just google for "Romance scam victims Yahoo group." You'll be able to become a member and network with other scam victims and learn about still more sites. You can run the scammer's photos on Google search by images. When you do that, you frequently get links to dating sites and other sites where people have reported the scammer. That will give you information too. You can inform the site where you met your scammer and any other sites you have found that he or she is listed on that you were defrauded and ask them to take down his or her profile.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was scammed out of a lot of money is their any legal way of going after these people
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately, the overwhelming number of romance scammers get completely away with their crimes. They are professional thieves, and with readily available computer software and today's technology, they can falsify everything from photos through their email and computer IP addresses and become completely invisible in cyberspace. They just change their names, get new phone numbers and email addresses, create a new false identity and start all over again. It doesn't help that they prey on victims from outside of their own country, deliberately, because each country's law enforcement authorities only has jurisdiction within its own borders. Nigerian authorities don't care much about the fleecing of Westerners. Advance fee frauds in Nigeria contribute a great deal of money to Nigeria's economy. They pretty much turn a blind eye. Still reporting the fraud is about the only way we have to try to bring these creeps to justice so that they can be sued and/or prosecuted for their frauds. And some do get caught. Report the matter to your police and to the FBI. The FBI has a special website for the reporting of these called the Internet Crime Complaint Center. There, they are partnered with Interpol and other agencies, so the relevant authorities abroad will be informed of your details. Scam is an international problem in epidemic proportions, however, so if you want your matter prioritized, hiring an internation private investigator would be the way to go. Whether that will prove to be worth the cost, however, is something I'm not able to say. The technology that allows these thieves to hide is far more sophisticated than any we have to catch them. I can say one thing, however, as you 're in the US. You should talk to your accountant, because your unreimbursed losses due to being the victim of a crime is at least partly deductible. So you'll be able to get back at least some of what you lost in the form of a deduction when you file your 2015 taxes.