Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

My name is***** wanted to ask you I have been dating

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** wanted to ask you I have been dating this guy from America since last year in August. He has left the USA MY now and is coming over here to Australia. I received a text this morning from a bike gang in Washington saying they are holding my boyfriend and his son and they are asking for a ransom of $10,000 dollars they have given me 48 hours to send the money
The guy who I have been dating his name is***** Wilson and his son is called Michael
I have just contacted the Washington Police Department and told them they are being held for ransom so the leader of the bike gang has contacted me from my boyfriends phone so I want you to see this number as well as his email
The Police Agency Department said I was being scammed so could you please help me
Number is- ***********
Email-***@******.***
Please can you help me I need to know if this is a scam I'm very frightened if it is true I don't want the bikes in Washington hurting them
He also said to me Squier that his mother died in California at xmas her name was Christine Acevedo could you please check any death records for this name please
Regards Deb
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. I'm afraid to tell you that what you are describing is a classic scam, and there is no way this situation is legitimate. In all my years as an attorney, I have never heard of a "bike gang" kidnapping a male and demanding a ransom. Not only that, but demanding that the ransom be paid not by the man's family but by a woman he was dating on the internet? This situation is so absurd that I would call it a scam even if I haven't seem it a hundred times before (and I have). What you are dealing with is called a romance scam. Scams of this kind are unfortunately quite common online. The way they essentially work is the scammer poses as someone else on a dating site, using fake pictures and a fake story, and develops a relationship with the victim. After trust has been developed, the scammer comes up with a reason why the victim must send him money. If the victim sends money, the scammer comes up with another reason for more, and more, until the victim eventually gives up or runs out of cash. You need not worry about this man being harmed because he is not the person you think he is and CERTAINLY is not being held for ransom. You are the victim of an elaborate but extremely common fraud and all you can do is cut off contact and move on. Of course, this scammer will say anything they can possibly think of to keep you on the hook. But you must not listen. You must know that there is a 0% chance of this being real, cut your losses, and above all refrain from sending any money. Since this fraud occurred through use of the internet, an individual in your circumstance can report it to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (a division of the FBI that specifically handles internet fraud) here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.