Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced Attorney.
18572087

I Talked to someone claiming to be from Facebook telling me

Customer Question

I Talked to someone claiming to be from Facebook telling me that I won money and was supposed to send money and I would get a check for 500 thousand is this a scam
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Yes, this is a scam. There are no 'facebook' contests that give you money. Furthermore, there are NO valid contests in place where you are first told up-front that you won so long as you pay money...that is simply designed to obtain information from you, and the money as well. I suspect you were asked to send the money via Western Union, MoneyGram, or wiring the funds directly. All of those have been proven as a viable method under which scammers obtain funds because those methods are generally very difficult to track and trace, and even harder to refund once the funds are received. Please beware and do not send them any money! Sincerely, ***** *****