Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have an on going scam in progress is there someone who

Customer Question

I have an on going scam in progress is there someone who would be able track them or catch them?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 11 months ago.

Scammers are professional thieves who almost always prey on their victims from another country, using fake contact information, making it virtually impossible for anyone to successfully track them down. Even the phone numbers you have that you think would be helpful will turn out to trace to a mobile phone or a computer VOIP, which regardless of the number can be anywhere in the world. They also don't have accounts for their phones but use pay per minutes or call forwarding services, specifically to help them hide out in cyberspace behind their computers.

I'd be happy to see what I could find from their phone number, though my experience is that I will be able to uncover little more than whether they are using a mobile phone, a landline or a VOIP.

The only way to track and catch your scammer would be if you can interest your police or the FBI to set up a sting operation with your cooperation and trap them that way. I would recommend that as what you should do. As you already know you're dealing with a scammer, you should report him to the police and to the FBI. The latter has a website specifically for internet frauds. It's called the Internet Crime Complaint Center, where the FBI is partnered with Interpol and other agencies to make sure that all relevant authorities will hear of your evidence.

If they are not interested in working with you, perhaps a private investigator could assist you, but you certainly wouldn't want to send your own money to a scammer just to do an investigation, because the overwhelming number of these scammers get completely away with their crime and your likelihood of recovering any money you send then is very, very low.

Sorry I can't be more reassuring, but I have to be truthful. These are the realities of internet scam when the technology that scammers can use to safely hide their identities is more sophisticated than what law enforcement has to find and stop them.

Best wishes for the coming year.