Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

And romance scam JA: Thanks. Can

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** and romance scam
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just want to know once a scammer walks away do they contact agin down the road?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Fraud Examiner Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes and just so u know last txt he said he loved me and would be with me so I don't know if that is a door opener for him to try me in a couple of months or if its just done
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you're involved with a scam artist. It is pretty common for scam artists to contact their victims down the road. However, they won't always (and frequently don't) do so using the same false identity. So, there are a few things to watch out for:Any person you meet via an online dating website who does not live in your town and cannot agree to meet you within a couple of weeks after establishing contact. A very high percentage of the people you meet online who give reasons they can't or won't see you in person are either scam artists or married. Either way, they should be avoided.Someone who is offering to help you get back the money you lost to the scam artist, as long as you pay a relatively small, upfront fee to the person who is helping.Anyone pretending to be from the government and claims to have found the person who scammed you, but is emailing you from an email address that does not end in .gov (like government-issued addresses will).They sometimes try a completely unrelated scam, such as claiming you won the (made-up) Facebook lottery or some other cash prize that they're going to ask you to pay to collect. So, it's possible that he would try to come back and ask you to be with him again, but more likely that he'd try a new scam. One way to protect against him coming back and claiming to still want to be with you is to mark his email address as spam so you never see those messages. But just be very careful of anyone who approaches you and asks for cash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to tell you he thinks I am coming into money in Feb or March so I am thinking more than likely he will try to contact me. Thank you for your help
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure he will. But he may not approach you as the same scam artist you thought you knew. Again, he might try other ways to get the money. Just be very careful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will I receive a phone call and what area code?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm unfortunately not able to call you. Whether you'll get a call, when, and the area code will all depend on whether there's another expert available to call you. We appreciate your patience. If you want to discuss this more now, the best way to do so is to continue our chat via this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by " he may not approach you as the same scam artist you knew? And you do think he will contact since he believes I am coming into money, correct?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I mean that scam artists use dozens of different identities, none of them real. So he probably WILL contact you, or have his scam artist friends do it, but he might pretend to be someone else if he's aware that you figured out he's a scam artist.