Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

Are there any scams going on involving a Brigadier General

Customer Question

Are there any scams going on involving a Brigadier General of the Marines online or impersonating a general who starts out looking for a companion. Can look this general's name up on line, view photos & videos. After almost a week, supposedly his personal assistant is killed during a mission to rescue an american in which the general finds a box the american had in his possession Now, he wants to send this box to me to complete the dead man's wish, which of course involves money because the DSS is shipping it.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Yes, unfortunately this is a very common scam. The general is of course a real person but you are simply dealing with an impostor. What you are being set up for is requests to pay up front fees to collect this money. Things like taxes, customs fees, attorney fees, etc. They’ll keep coming up with new excuses for you to send money for so long as you keep sending it. It’s called an advance fee scam. This particular version is combined with what’s commonly known as a military romance scam, where criminals pose as members of the military (to gain trust) and then develop romantic relationships with their victims. Military romance scams are so frequent that the United States military has issued a warning about them, which you can read here. Although it is certain you are dealing with a scam based only on these limited facts, there is a rather straight forward way to determine conclusively if this person is in the military, and thus, whether they are being truthful with you about everything else. All active military individuals are issued a military email address. It will end in “@usmc.” There are no exceptions. Ask for this man to send you an email from his military email address. If he's a scammer, he will come up with some excuse why or "guilt" you out of questioning his legitimacy, but the bot***** *****ne is that if he can't send you an email from a “@usmc.mil” address, he is not in the military.If this man is genuine and serious about proving his legitimacy to you, he should also have no problem providing you with his social security number, which you can look up to determine conclusively whether he is an active serviceman here. This will do nothing to jeopardize his security and if he says that, he's just trying to avoid having you check out his story. Again, any excuses here should also be regarded as confirmation of a scam, as this is an extremely straight forward and foolproof way to determine if someone is in the military.Again, this is quite certainly a scam, but you can obtain additional proof if you so desire by taking the steps outlined above. Stay safe, and whatever you do, don't send ANY money to anyone for any reason related to this situation. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Were you able to view my answer? Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you....