Law Educator, Esq., Consultant
Experience:  24+ years law enforcement. Licensed Attorney.
10285032

I was called by a man saying that I have a grant

Customer Question

I was called by a man saying that I have a grant for 7500 dollars and i could get the money thorough money gram. I sent 210 dollars thru money gram and i have the receipt and i would get the guaranteed the money back after telling the IRS is awarding me 12,400 then he was asking for 858.00 That's when I told him no i don't have that money asked him to cancel and to refund my money. he said yes and that i would have to call on monday which is today and now i keep getting no answer
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a common scam. Grants are not given to people where the recipient has to pay money to get the grant. If someone receives a grant and there are any fees, they are taken from the grant money before it is sent to you and you do not have to pay money up front. This is called an advance fee scam. You are going to need to report this to your local law enforcement authorities, including the US Postal Inspector and the FBI office, since they investigate these scams using the telephone and also the US mails. Unfortunately, these people use anonymous prepaid cell phones, so they are very hard to track, but if you sent the moneygram, they can try to trace the moneygram to locate the individual. Sadly, the chances of you recovering your money though are very slim because these people use fake names and cell phones that are virtually impossible to trace, so unless the FBI and Postal Inspector find them, there is nothing else you can do other than not send any more money.