Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Name of Company who scammed me: EZPC LLC On Oct. 29, 2015 a

Customer Question

Name of Company who scammed me: EZPC LLC
On Oct. 29, 2015 a screen popped up my computer saying that hijackers have gotten
into my computer and that they were affiliated with Microsoft and that for $350 they
would fix the problem. Then they said that for another $270 they would give me
lifetime support. As it turned out they put their securities on my computer for life
BUT the support would ONLY be for 2 years. I panicked over the thought that hijackers
gotten into my computer and paid them a total of $620 by electronic check on a site
called "Right Signature". Meanwhile, I already have a reliable, trustworthy company that I contracted with before EZPC LLC and while they were helping me out with another computer issue, they discovered that my computer had been browser hijacked.
This is AFTER EZPC LLC was supposedly fixing that problem. My reliable company
used Ask toolbar and Conduit search and an Adware cleaner (most powerful cleaner to remove browser hijacking). They gathered all their info and ran this cleaner to fix
the browser hijacking problem. So here I am giving EZPC LLC $620 and my other company were the ones to clean up my computer.
I called back EZPC LLC and told them I wanted to cancel my contract with them.
They said it was company policy to charge another $150 for service (on top of the $620 I already gave them). I was not going to give EZPC another penny so what they did was to remove ALL their security software that they had installed. It took them hours
to do this -I believe they were copying everything off my hard drive.
So, NOW I DIDN't have any of their security software any more on my computer and they refused to give me back my $620. So I paid $620 for nothing.
I want my $620 back. They used fake names throughout all our dealings.
For example, the extra $150 they wanted was to be sent to them by a Moneygram to
a person name "Jaswinder Toot". How phony can you get.
How do I go about getting my $620 back - after all I do not have their security software
any more on my computer - but they have my $620
refused to give me ack my $620.
So now - I
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, all you can do is to notify law enforcement, because only if they find out who and where these frauds really are and bring them to justice, will you be able to possibly get your money back. Meanwhile, they can be anybody, anywhere in the world.

You fell for a very popular fraud. Here's how the scam works:

You get a cold call from a supposed computer tech company, usually, but not always claiming to be associated with Microsoft/Windows or some other important company and telling you that your computer has bugs which they can repair for you. Many of these calls actually originate from overseas, and the caller may have a heavy accent. What these folks want to do is to is to get remote access and/or to install malware which would allow them to hack into your computer, phish for passwords, get into your accounts and rob you blind.

If you gave these scammers access again after a reputable company cleaned up your computer, then your computer is compromised again. For heavens sake, don't call back the fake company that's looking to hack into your account! They're not going to refund you, not now, not ever. They are scammers and your contract with them is worthless. Worse yet, you're probably right, and they may have copied your hard drive.

You probably need to go back to the reputable folks and get your computer debugged again, and then change all of your PIN numbers and passwords ASAP. Or, if you're technically savvy, you can post a question in our computer section where a verified computer technician can walk you through the debugging. \

Most importantly, if they have all of your personal information, you need to take every possible precaution against identity theft:

If you think that any of your bank or credit card accounts could have been accessed, call and alert your bank and card carriers that your accounts may have been compromised and cancel those cards/accounts and open new ones.

From there you have to take other precautions against identity theft: First of all, you need to report the fraud to your police, to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov and to the FBI at their online Internet Crime Center at IC3.gov. Hopefully, they can find these thieves and bring them to justice.

Then you need to also put a fraud alert against your credit history. That will keep scammers from taking out cards or loans in your name. It will not harm your credit rating. It protects you.To get a fraud alert, contact any any one of the three credit reporting services, Equifax, Experian or TransUnion (any one of them will automatically notify the other two) and ask to have a fraud alert placed on your credit history.

Fraud alerts are free for 90 days, and it means that if, during that time, anyone attempts to open up a credit card or take out a loan in your name, you will get a phone call before any such loan or credit line gets approved. After 90 days, you can continue the service for a fee. I'm linking you to Experian, because I have the link handy. Again, they all perform the same service and any one will notify the other two.

A fraud report will not affect your credit or hamper the way you use your cards. It just keeps unscrupulous people from opening cards and loans in your name. You will still need to monitor all of your accounts carefully so that you can report any unauthorized charges or accounts promptly so you won't be held responsible for them.

You will also need to check your credit history every now and again to see if these thieves took out loans or opened up credit cards in your name. When you get the fraud alert you'll get a copy of your credit history automatically, so you won't need to do it right away. But some months down the road you may want to get another to make sure nothing has slipped through the cracks. You can do so compliments of the Federal Trade Commission through annualcreditreport.com.

Finally, if you think they could have accessed your social security number, that could cause you problems as well you would also want to contact Social Security and alert them. Generally Social Security will not want to issue you another card, but they'll tell you what steps to take. Most importantly, they will tell you to notify the IRS.

All of the above is time consuming and burdensome, but if you believe your accounts may have been compromised, it is much better to be inconvenienced than to be robbed blind.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I ONLY authorized the down deposit of $5.00, I did not subscribe to any of your plans. Therefore, I understand if you decide
to keep the $5 as good faith - but I request a refund for the $38. I did not get that far in your sign up process; therefore I did not agree to join for a month. I want my $38 credited to my account that I gave you. Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
since you stated that this is a 7 Day Free-Trial I should NOT be charged for the $38. I want a refund and I want to cancel my account. The information that your Expert gave me - I already knew about just by surfing the web. I didn't need
their same information.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry you are dissatisfied. My answer is entirely correct, and sometimes all we can do here is to confirm what you may already know. Of course, it's not possible to know what you already know unless you provide that information in your question. Had you done that, neither of us would have wasted our time.

Please contact customer service for your refund. Experts have no access to member accounts, don't handle funds and cannot deal with billing matters.