Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I was scammed by Alfred W. Adams of Allbuquerque, NM and Fargo,

Customer Question

I was scammed by Alfred W. Adams of Allbuquerque, NM and Fargo, North Dakota. I have his business address and phone number and three foreign Promissory notes, notarized when he was in Bahrain. He was supposed to fly home this Last Sunday night arriving in to LAX at 2PM and then to Albuquerque, New Mexico at 10pm. I received a phone call at 4 am Monday, that he had been arrested in Bahrain. How should I proceed. The Embassy cannot verify his arrest because Wed and Thru were holidays and Friday, is their Sabbath and the Embassy in Bahrain is closed on Saturday also. I will try late tonight. Are my promissory notes of any value if I go to Fargo and meet with the District Attorney? Sincerely, *****
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 11 months ago.
Hello, Is this someone that you have never met in person but who has been romancing you as a result of contact that he initiated on a dating or social networking site? This pattern conforms to a scam we see several times daily called the stranded traveler advance fee fraud. That's when someone you think you have an online romantic relationship has to go abroad before he can meet you, usually for work purposes. Once there, he has the first of what will become several emergencies for which only your money will do. Sure he can sign a promissory note, but he's not going to be real, he doesn't live in North Dakota, and the piece of paper you have is as worthless as any of his other promises. The North Dakota Secretary of State keeps the tax filings and business records of every company doing business in their state. Their register lists no such company as Damson Engineering. Here are the signs of an internet romance scam, and you will recognize many of them: - the scammer reaches out to you on a dating or social networking website and he falls in love with you at first sight. His profile shows an attractive, well educated man with his own business and you can't believe your luck. If you/he is middle aged, he generally claims to be a widower with a son or a daughter.- He moves in on you faster than a speeding bullet and sweeps you off your feet, rushing the relationship towards some kind of a commitment. He pulls you off the site where you met and tells you that he wants an exclusive relationship with you via webcam, skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. He talks of love, marriage, future and forever.- He is in another country, not your own, for work purposes, usually, but not always as an engineer, a geologist, an architect or a construction or mining supervisor. He desperately wants to meet you as soon as he can. He may even refer to you as his wife or fiancee, though you've never met.- And as soon as he sees that you return his feelings, the conversation turns from love to money and he has the first of an endless series of unfortunate events. He has an accident at work or a problem with his credit card, a theft at his hotel, or he's mugged on the street and needs you to pay his hospital bill, or his son comes down with something serious, or he has workers he must pay or legal expenses he must clear before he can see you or he gets arrested at the airport. There are dozens of excuses, no one of them truthful. You can see a whole list of these excuses on this page, You can find his so-called problem on this list.The money requests generally start small, but if you send him any, the subsequent requests will be A LOT bigger. And bigger. And bigger.Despite the fact that when you first started talking to him, he claimed to be a successful, well educated, independent, self-reliant kind of guy, suddenly he changes his spots. And so he will ask you to wire money via Western Union and will say that he will pay you back when he shows up at your door. But there will always be one more emergency. And it will always cost you. And he will never get a milimiter closer to the plane.Hope this gives you some direction. Send no more money. You will lose it forever. Cease all contact with the scammer and anyone else whose number he gives you or who calls you to back up his lies. They are all confederates in the same team of thieves, swearing to each other's lies to convince you to wire your money to them.If you have photos of this person and additional information you wish to send, you can upload it to this question thread in your reply. But what you need to do is to report the fraud to the FBI at IC3.gov and to your police, because only if someone can figure out who and where this man really is can you get your money.