Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I have received a message on facebook that I had won 500,000.00

Customer Question

I have received a message on facebook that I had won 500,000.00 dollars via an email drawing/lottery. She said her name is***** Works for face book. Wants me to send 350.00 to pay Fed Ex to deliver the check.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Facebook does not run, sponsor, or associate with any lottery or sweepstakes, so on that basis alone it is clear that you are dealing with a scam. Do not be fooled by anyone who tells you otherwise.Second, advance fees are NEVER, EVER required to collect legitimate prize winnings. When you have truly won a lottery or sweepstakes, you own that money immediately, and any fees or costs for delivery would simply be deducted from the prize itself, which is already yours.This is an "advance fee" fraud. These scams have numerous variations but the essential facts they all have in common is that the victim is contacted and informed of sweepstakes winnings, inheritance or some other financial windfall and told that they need to pay a "processing fee" or bank transfer fee in order to receive their winnings. Of course, there is no sum of money for the victim and this is merely a ploy to get the victim to send their own advance payment, with which the scammer will promptly disappear.In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" notices you may receive about lotteries, grants, or inheritances. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Can I be of any further assistance to you? Please let me know....