Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is there a new Grant scammer company in Mesa, AZ? Grant

Customer Question

Is there a new Grant scammer company in Mesa, AZ?
Grant Solutions LLC
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

There is a Grant Solutions, LLC which incorporated in Arizona in 2002 and which is still an active business in Arizona, according to the Arizona Secretary of State. Its address is 2321 N Grenview Drive, in Mesa, AZ 85213.

That said, I have no way of knowing if this is the company you are actually dealing with as scammers "borrow" the names of legitimate companies all of the time to further their fraud.

What is it that this company is supposed to do for you? How did you learn of them? Are you required to pay an up-front fee? What contact information were you given for this company? If you have a website, that will be very helpful, but a snail mail address and phone number are also good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to pay an upfront fee of $4200 with my credit card.
I gave them my license as well. Stupid I guess.
They are promising $60 k in grants back
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

What contact information you have for the company, because this doesn't sound legitimate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No phone number that I know of.
I signed some documents that looked legitimate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
their phone number kept coming up as(###) ###-#### ***** i asked him about that. that is a information number in NYC
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to see what I can fine with the information you've just given me. I'm fairly confident however that you set yourself up for identity T give me a few minutes to see what I can fine with the information you've just given me. I'm fairly confident however that you set yourself up for identity theft

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

This is the old number for NYC directory assistance. It's being "borrowed" by assorted scam callers and telemarketers who want to hide their actual identity. You can see many complaints on the web about this here.

A reverse search of the email address fails to get a hit on either a background checker site or a google search. In any case, it's a generic rather than a business address.

Finally, no legitimate grant finder company can guarantee you a grant. Grants are given out on merit and are hotly competed for. The best that they can really do is to try to search for a grant for you. So nothing about this company is for real, except for the name which was borrowed just to scam you.

I don't know how long ago you contracted with this company. Most important would be to contact your credit card carrier and to shut that card down. I hope you used a credit rather than a debit card, because by now if you gave them your debit card, this so called grant company may have helped themselves to your entire bank account. Your bank or credit card carrier can look into what's already been charged.

As you have also given these people your driver's license -- no legitimate reason on earth for that except identity theft -- you may also want to call the DMV and find out whether they will want you to order another one as the number on this license has been compromised.

You've given out information which can lead to identity theft, and there are steps you need to take to make sure that you contain the problem.

More to come. . .

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

First of all, you need to report the fraud to your police, to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov and to the FBI's online Internet Crime Center at IC3.gov. Hopefully, they can find these thieves and bring them to justice.

You should also see if your credit card will grant you a chargeback.

If you gave this "company" any more details about your bank or credit card information to apply for these so-called grants, what you will want to do is close those accounts as well and open new ones. Then you can also put a fraud alert against your credit history. That will keep scammers from taking out cards or loans in your name. It will not harm your credit rating. It protects you.

To get a fraud alert, contact any any one of the three credit reporting services, Equifax, Experian or TransUnion (any one of them will automatically notify the other two) and ask to have a fraud alert placed on your credit history. It is free for 90 days, and it means that if, during that time, anyone attempts to open up a credit card or take out a loan in your name, you will get a phone call before any such loan or credit line gets authorized. After 90 days, you can continue the service for a fee. I'm linking you to Experian, because I have the link handy. Again, they all perform the same service and any one will notify the other two.

A fraud report will not affect your credit or hamper the way you use your cards. It just keeps unscrupulous people from opening cards and loans in your name.

You need to check every now and again to see if these thieves took out loans or opened up credit cards in your name. You can do so compliments of the Federal Trade Commission through annualcreditreport.com.