Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

I have been corresponding with a man fron Akon,Ohio. His name

Customer Question

I have been corresponding with a man fron Akon,Ohio. His name is*****
He has sent 2 pictures of himself and one of his daughter, Gina. Claims to be an
telecommunications Engineer. He is now in Ghana on a job.... He has used these
phone numbers,+233241561030, 1-***-***-**** and +1(***) ***-****.
So far he has not asked for any money.+1(***) ***-**** also.+1(***-***-****.
Is there a way to check him out? LaNae Berggren, Anchorage, Alaska 99501 (###) ###-####
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. It's nearly impossible to maintain an accurate identity of scam artist identities, because the information is changed constantly. That can make it very difficult to tell you anything useful with just a name, or even a name and telephone number (since they use IP phone numbers or disposable cell phones for the most part). The way to tell if someone is a scam artist is to look at the story that they're telling, plus the behavior. The number one behavioral sign is, of course, asking for money. But there are other signs:You meet online, and he has reasons you can't meet in person (such as being in business overseas)He claims to be a widower, frequently with a child.The relationship moves quickly. He wants to move off the communication set up by the website and move to phone, private email, or video chat.He starts to speak of love and marriage very early in the relationship, often after only days or even hours.He seems too good to be true, telling you everything you want to hear. This isn't a coincidence - it's what scam artists do to get you to fall in love with them.He uses flowery, or even poetic (but not grammatically correct) language.He has a very common name that could be easily shared by many, many people.The flow or rhythm of his communications isn't really consistent with how most Americans speak. This is because Ghanians have a distinct accent, and after seeing communications from several of them, you start to get a feel for what it sounds or reads like.Honestly, the fact that he's given you 5 different phone numbers is pretty suspicious. Who has five phones, located in five different cities?These people are very good at what they do, and they're running the same scams on dozens of people at a time, so they have all the time in the world to get you to fall in love with them before asking for money. I also want to point out that Ghana is an extremely poor country. There are few, if any, million-dollar opportunities that don't involve scamming people and even fewer that are available to foreign citizens. If these types opportunities existed, the people of Ghana would likely be exploiting them. Ghana is 109th in the world in tourism out of 130 countries. If everyone who claimed to be the temporarily, even on business, were actually located there, they'd be in the top 50 (if not higher). With all of that said, I have found the name "James Marvin" used by scam artists in the past. But I went over all of the above first because I don't want you to look at the pictures or the facts, say "Oh, that's not him," and then think the person you're talking to is legitimate. There's a lot more involved than that, and it's not uncommon to re-use an old name with a new fake identity attached to it. They do it all the time.https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=56552http://www.romancescam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56896 None of those phone numbers he gave you has an Akron area code, which is just as odd as the fact that he's got 5 phone numbers. That 313 number is ***** IP number based in Detroit. The 636 number is ***** internet phone number from Missouri, with 17 scam reports in the last 3 months. 937 is Dayton or Columbus, Ohio, which is more than 100 miles from Akron. 614 is also a Columbus area code. Scam artists love IP numbers, because you can get them free from Google and do not have to live in the place where you're pretending to be from to get one. These are all IP numbers. Scam artists LOVE IP phone accounts. Another huge red flag. Sometimes, you copy and paste the more descriptive parts of a person's profile or first few emails (the parts that talk about wanting a woman to treat well or loving someone genuine or things like that), you'll find a bunch more profiles with the same language. That also means it's a scam. And you can do an image search through Google to see if other scam artist are using the same pictures. The best way to avoid scam artists online is to cut off all communication with anyone you can't meet in person within a few interactions (this also sometimes helps you avoid married men). No matter how good the reason for not meeting, you can't verify if someone's genuine online. Scam artists will tell you absolutely anything to get you to give them money - but they can't and won't turn up at a coffee shop in your home town. I know it's frustrating to try to meet people when you live in a small town, but it really can be safer. At the very least, the second you hear Ghana, Nigeria, Russia, or the name of any other foreign country, walk away. Here's more information on things to look out for in dating scams:http://www.romancescams.org/ If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.