Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I hope I have selected the right Expert/Category. I am

Customer Question

Hi, I hope I have selected the right Expert/Category. I am looking to buy something on either of the following 2 online stores: fishpond.com.au or thinkgeek.com I was hoping to get an opinion on the reputation of the websites before going ahead with purchase. Can you help please

Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 12 months ago.

According to its site registration, Fishpond registered its domain name in 2013, so it's still a new company, despite the fact that it says on its website it's been providing great prices since 2004. There's no proof of that. To the contrary, in fact.

However, even assuming they've been around since 2004, all it is, is a venue. It sells nothing itself but it allows for you to access vendors all over the world who claim to have those goods to sell. Sites like this are not liable for what their vendors post. They are just forums. You'd have to vet the specific company you're going to buy from, as Fishpond doesn't.

thinkgeek.com.au registered its domain name on May 3, 2015, but it has not yet launched its website.

I'd be leery of buying anything from Fishpond unless you thoroughly vet the company you are steered to. I wouldn't recommend Thinkgeek at all.

People make the mistake of thinking that the internet is a huge shopping mall. That's not as true as it looks. Although you can find online shops carrying very high quality names at prices much too good to be true, many of those sites are outright scams where you will get nothing at all or you'll get a substandard counterfeit product. Or, even worse, they just take your credit card information and use it to commit identity theft.

No high-end company discounts its own products below wholesale prices except in its own stores when there are special clearances. Companies are also very particular about who sells their goods, as that protects their brand. Too good to be true prices is a sign of fraud in this area.

The fact is that when you shop with a company that is outside the reach of your law and your consumer regulatory authority, you are at their mercy. If they don't ship the goods, or if they ship you something you didn't order not worth nearly what you paid for it, you're going to be out your money if they refuse to refund you. It will not be worth it for you to hire a lawyer in another country and sue them, and they know it.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 12 months ago.

,