Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been communicating with a soldier in Iraq. my friends

Customer Question

I have been communicating with a soldier in Iraq. my friends tell me he is a fraud. how do I know?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 11 months ago.
Hello, There are foolproof ways to tell whether your online friend is a military scammer. Anyone who is presently serving in the US Armed forces would be in the Armed Forces data base, which is searchable at this site: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/scra/single_record.xhtml You will get a warning from your computer when you first land there, because its certification is different from most websites, because it contains official military records. But you can access it safely. The fact that the site has a .mil extension lets you know that it is an official US government military site. With the soldier's full name and date of birth or social security number, you can see if any such person ever was a US soldier. If his name is ***** ***** name and date of birth should be good enough to get you an answer. If he has a common name, you'll need to ask him for his social security number. There's another way as well. Every US soldier has an official military email address. So ask your soldier for his official military email address. This is not classified information. A real US soldier may have a classified email address as well, but he also has a regular military email address with which he writes to his friends and family. Every soldier does because it is the only one he is supposed to use. When he gives his email address to you, it should end in .mil It will NOT end in .com In other words, it should look like john.doe @us.army.mil If the email address doesn't end in .mil on the extreme right side of the @ sign, he is a fake. Only US servicemen can get a .mil email address, and if he can't produce one that you can email him back and forth with, he's scamming you. Period. Here are the tell-tale signs of a military scammer: - you meet him on a dating website or social networking site. - he falls in love at first site and rushes you into a committed relationship. -- he's usually claims to be an officer because it's more impressive.-- he always claims to be on active duty out of the US., - if you/he are at least middle aged, he generally will claim to be a widower with a kid. -- he talks about getting to meet you and happily ever after. And once you return his interest he starts talking to you about and/or asking you for money. He will want you to wire it Western Union or MoneyGram which is untraceable when wired abroad. He may ask you to pay for his leave (leaves are free) for his transportation (that's free too), for his kid's birthday presents, and/or for an endless series of increasingly improbable emergencies such as medical care. He may tell you that he's making you his beneficiary and want you to pay for that even though he's not dead and you can't collect it until he is. He may have his "commanding officer" call or write to you to back up his lies. This list is not exclusive. There are many other excuses. None of it, however, is true. Also - Soldiers in a war zone cannot internet date.- Soldiers in a war zone cannot reveal their actual location.-- Soldiers in a war zone are not allowed to use mobile phones.-- They must use their official military email addresses for all communication, and they only get a half hour on line per week for all of their computer correspondence. The US army is very aware of these scams. Some scammers have gone so far as to use photos of soldiers who were later killed in battle. The Army warns people about military scammers and not to fall for them. You can see one warning here. Don't let any so-called US soldiers involve you in their so-called financial problems. It is always a scam. US soldiers make a fine living and don't have to defraud strangers on the web. In fact, that would be an offense for which they could be court-martialed. If you find that he's a scammer, the US military asks that all military scams be reported to the FBI online at IC3.gov, their Internet Crime Complaint Center.