Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

A woman by the name of Debra Holland called me and told me

Customer Question

A woman by the name of Debra Holland called me and told me that I have won the $10,000.00 for life and said that it will be hand delivered to me on Monday Dec. 14,2015
and that I would have to be able to give her $1,000.00 in cash in order to receive two certified checks one for $10,000.00 and one for $2,000,000. Her telephone number is ***** I would like to know if this is real or a fraud. My name is***** and I live at 27784 Gleneagles Missio. Viejo CA
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm sorry to say that this is a contest scam. How do I know? A couple of reasons: You would not be asking this question if you'd really won this contest. That's because although scammers want you to think you can be chosen as a winner out of thin air, that's not true. You must always enter a contest to win it, and it's your proof of entry that entitles you to a prize. If you entered a lottery, you have to have bought lottery tickets, and your winning numbers would be on the tickets you bought. Lottery winners get paid from the lottery ticket sales. You can't win without one. If you entered a sweepstakes you'd have your half of the entry form with the numbers for the drawing on it. The contest would have the other half. Again, you'd have proof of entry. You don't, because this contest is a scam. The other reason i know is because there's an upfront fee. When you're a real contest winner, you NEVER have to pay out of pocket to collect anything because the money the contest has is already yours. So if there are any fees that have to be paid, the contest would deduct that from the $10K they supposedly owe you and just give you the rest free and clear with no strings attached. An upfront fee is the #1 sign of a contest fraud. Cease all contact with these thieves. Send no money. Report the fraud to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.