Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Received a PCH letter that I won 2nd Place in the 100 Million

Customer Question

Received a PCH letter that I won 2nd Place in the 100 Million Dollars Super Cash Giveaway Promotion which amounted to $2.5M. They sent a $7,540.18 Check to deposit into my account. They listed a Mr Allen Smith as the Claims Messenger to talk to at 1-***-***-****. After talking to him I should deposit check and then call back and by Monday the check would be validated. Then I would be notified to furnish a check to a representative who would arrive on Monday. Then I would receive the $2.5M within 48 hours.
I've been scammed a few years ago when immediately after a deposit the check they sent me was put on stop payment. Is what I received fact or fiction?
Ed Johnston,***@******.***
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I'd love to tell you that this time you are really a winner, but in fact, this is a scam. PCH notifies its winners by sending a Prize Patrol to their home and surprising them. The never send you partial payment and require you to deposit it. If you were to call "Allen Smith" (don't) he'll tell you to deposit the check and then send off some of that money for transfer fees, taxes, insurance or courier expenses. However, that's a lie. The check -- not a PCH check, of that I'm certain -- is stolen and will bounce. It wiill take a couple of weeks to do that, by which time, you'll have wired off what will turn out to be your own money to thieves. If you caused an overdraft on your account, you're also going to have to pay back the bank. PCH is aware of all of the scams perpetrated in their name, and their site warns you that you never have to pay anything at all out of pocket for any reason at all, when you really win one of their contests.You can see the PCH warnings here for yourself:http://info.pch.com/consumer-information/tips-a-warning-signsPCH provides contact information and if you don't believe me, you can reach out to them and ask whether or not you have really won one of their contests. But once you read their warning, I"m sure you'll know I'm correct.Don't deposit the check. Send no money. You didn't win one of PCH's contests. Report the scam to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov