Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

My husband has been dealing with a David Sayer or Sawyer all

Customer Question

My husband has been dealing with a David Sayer or Sawyer all day by phone concerning my husband supposedly winning 8.5 million dollars plus a new car. All my husband has to do is send 5,000 in cash to a Richard Estep in Georgia, overnight express. I have tried to tell him it is a scam, what's you think?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. This is 100% without any doubt a scam. The reason I can tell you that is simple--advance fees are never, EVER required to collect legitimate prize winnings. There is no exception to this rule. What your husband has encountered is known as an "advance fee" scam. These scams have numerous variations but the essential facts they all have in common is that the victim is contacted and informed of sweepstakes winnings, inheritance or some other financial windfall and told that they need to pay a "processing fee" or bank transfer fee in order to receive their winnings. Of course, there is no sum of money for the victim and this is merely a ploy to get the victim to send their own advance payment, with which the scammer will promptly disappear. In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.