Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

Been called about 10-12 times today from collection agency

Customer Question

been called about 10-12 times today from collection agency ""specializing " in collecting
Money for Internet tech support companies. They. Claim that a internet company( not further indentied) worked remotelly on my computer and i had not paid them. I reseached my e mails andfund that on 4-20-2014 i had been fast taked into allowing remote access to my desktop computer to fix hacking damage, install interbet security. i would recieve any required teck support for any of my computer or other devices on my network for one year and would be contacted in a year to renew.
i was email on 4-21-15 offering a "special deal" of 50% off regular price (no price provided) if I subscribed to another year of technical support. Fortunately, I had changed my credit card number so they could not just charge my credit card automatically.
Although, no name of the company making a claim was mentioned, the date of my alleged debt was given as 4/21/15. that tie it to the company i discribed above, unfortunate, while writing this note to you, I can't access my e-mail files so I can't provide the company name immediately. But if you want, I will foreward to revelant e-mail tomorrow.
Ashley Hinman
***@******.*** (###) ###-####
278 Lake Point
Sanford, Nc 27332
RETIRED MSA INTELLIGENCE OFFICER
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I am sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly is your question? Are you asking whether this is a legitimate attempt to collect a debt or a scam? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Unfortunately, I cannot talk to customers on the phone. I am more than happy to assist you here, though. Please just let me know what your question is precisely...
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am convienced this ia a fraud attempt. somehow I got on a " WE GOT A Live ONE LIST" and routinely get called several times a week from various Asian speaking teck support companies dtscribing with horror in their voice how terrible my computer security is and presenting "evidence" that I had b,.jjeen hacked. The last time i was contacted they wanted $1495 to install NSA sonic firewall. When I pointed out that NSA Sonic firewall was hardware based. they quickly changed their tuned and claimed it was based on thei servers.ashley so am I right and how fo I stopmall the constant phone calls.
y=rewajjj
Thank you for your reply. First, let me state unequivocally that you are absolutely dealing with a scam here, and as you suspect, it appears you have been put on a list as a high probability victim, which explains the numerous calls. Basically, the same scammers or groups of scammers are now contacting you incessantly hoping that they will eventually be able to fool you with one of their fraud attempts.The appropriate course of action in these circumstances it to turn the matter over to the local police. They may be able to run a trace on the number and track these people down, at which point they will face criminal charges. With regard to stopping the harassing calls, the policies among local phone companies will vary in regard to how they deal with this type of issue. Some companies will refer you to a department that handles "annoyances," while others will require formal police involvement before they will deal with the matter.Additionally, there are certain call blocking programs that require callers to enter a particular code that you give them in advance before the call will be connected to your line. You can buy such a device from several different vendors. Check Privacy Corps (www.privacycorps.com) or Avinta (www.avinta.com) for examples.In the mean time, an individual in your circumstance should hang up on every harassing call that you get, or preferably, just don't answer at all if you don't know the number. DO NOT ENGAGE THEM. Do not say anything, or simply state "This is the harassing call, operator." Though it may seem hard to believe now, I can assure you that after a few days go by with you no longer taking these calls, the scammers will spend their time on other potential victims. They only have so many hours in the day and would rather spend their time on people who they can actually trick into sending money.Again, this is all a scam perpetrated by a small group of scammers who have decided you are a high probability victim and think they can trick you into sending money. The best course of action is to simply ignore the calls, although the matter can also be reported to the local police and your phone company. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.