Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

Is the Home Phone Mega Sweepstkes Raffle through Allied Financial

Customer Question

Is the Home Phone Mega Sweepstkes Raffle through Allied Financial Clearing Services a fraudulent program?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Unfortunately, there is no such entity as "Allied Financial Clearing Services " and you are dealing with a scam situation in which you are being set up to pay advanced fees for winnings that don't exist. This particular scam is actually a hybrid "lottery scam" and "fake check scam." Fake check scams essentially exploit a loophole in the banking system, which is that banks are required by law to make the funds from most checks available to the account holder immediately, even before they have verified the legitimacy of the check. Scammers know this and so draft fake checks to victims and then give the victims some reason for why they need to immediately "pay back" some amount from the check.Essentially, the check you have been given will go through and you will send this "processing fee" in reliance on those funds in your account. Your bank will realize in a few days that the check is no good and take the funds back out of your account, but the money you send the scammer will come out of the actual money you had in your account and you will be out of pocket.Don't be fooled. There are no raffle winnings and this is just an attempt to get you to send an advance payment. Moreover, no raffle or finance company would ever send you a "partial payment" up front to pay you the rest later. It doesn't make any sense from a business or financial standpoint to send you money so that you can send money so that they can send you money--and when you actually say that out loud, you'll realize how non-sensical it is.In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next. In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Was I able to answer your question? Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. It is my pleasure to do so if necessary....